Wednesday, September 26, 2012

NAMI Blog: Mental Health: The Importance of Voting


Being a person living with mental illness, I know the importance of voting.
Legislators and politicians have an important stake in the quality of life for those of us with mental illness.  Between now and Election Day, Nov. 6, let’s show them clearly that mental health care gets our votes.
There was a time when I was severely ill, not being able to function at anything. I would lie in my bed all day, barely leaving my house. I couldn’t go to school or work. I had no social life. I was scared, isolated and discouraged. I needed help.
Legislators and politicians have a strong influence on whether or not a person with mental illness recovers. Legislators and politicians make laws and determine the amount of spending for mental health care. Much of this funding is directed towards Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security income and Social Security Disability Insurance programs.

NAMI Blog: Mental Health: The Importance of Voting

No comments: