Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Disability Watch Group

First off my friend ray shapiro emailed me this idea for posting here on the Blog for all concerned Disability Advocates to think about as a future community project.

Ray writes:
I've been kicking around an idea for the creation of an independent non-profit coalition of disability concerned Columbia citizens to monitor and address the delivery of services and attitudes towards those who traditionally do not organize and empower themselves.
Off the top of my head, the group could be called, Disability Watch, Inc. or whatever the yet to be formed voluntary board of directors choose.
The mission statement, funding and 501c3 legal details can also be worked out as people show an inclination to support the ideals of this group and participation levels grow.
The main reason I think there's a need for an independent, citizen/client/consumer/care-provider/friends and family organization is because I see an unmet need for an organized, cohesive public watchdog forum to monitor, advocate and protect the concerns, interests and needs of Columbia citizens with disabilities.
(While we have specific service agencies such as SIL, New Horizons, CHA, the Columbia Disabilities commission, NAMI and GRO, there seems to be too much of government ties to most of these groups and none are multi-disability advocacy specific.)
If you have any ideas or wish to participate in this endeavor, please write me an email at raylenshap@aim.com,
The first order of business would be to recruit a voluntary board of directors.
We all have our own personal strengths and talents, so let me know what you think and what you're willing to do.
P.S.: Please don't dump me your complaints, personal stories, or suggestions as to what "I" need to do, unless you're willing to do something about it yourself.
(If you're not willing to participate in this project there are blog sites, such as this one, for you to vent your frustrations and problems.)

Thank you. -Ray S.

I have known ray shapiro for over 4 years now and I know he is sincere in this project and would not put this kind of thing out there for development if it was not a workable option that would benefit alot of people.

No comments: